Monday, November 5, 2012

Walk the Walk

Over the weekend I learned that someone is having a difficult time financially. I've never meet this person. She is an acquaintance of my wife. Regardless, I felt compelled to help. The circumstances are unimportant. There is no need to mention her struggles, or the relationship she and my wife enjoy. The only fact that's germane is that this person is in need and I am able to help.

There have been times in my life when strangers have extended a helping hand to me. It was just five short years ago that my daughter Meghan was involved in a serious accident. In that difficult time, my family was embraced by family and friends, but it was the actions of complete strangers that changed me forever. Nearly every day for six months a check would appear in my mailbox. Many times it would be from someone that I never met. The US field hockey community adopted my family and supported us until it was clear that Meg would fully recover.

Today I feel a solemn responsibility to give back when I can. Unfortunately, it seems that there is no shortage of people experiencing tough times. Unlike those who politicize the events that result in hard working people resorting to public assistance, I try to recall the kindness of strangers and say to myself "there for the grace of God go I". There is no shame in needing help.

I've been vocal in my support for the President and willingness to pay a little more to help our nation pay down its debt. On the eve of the election I restate the desire to do my fair share and ask everyone who reads my BLOG to look in the mirror before pulling the lever. Regardless of who wins the election I'll continue live the Christian covenant as my brother's keeper. Maybe one day it will be you that needs my help. It's my sincere wish that you don't need to suffer the kind of life altering tragedy I did to understand what this means.

No comments:

Post a Comment